Strengthening Musical Foundations
Our Level 4 class, for children 4-6 years, taps into your child’s natural creativity and love of music and encourages your child to explore his singing voice, creative sound-making, rhythm patterns and musical notation through songs, storytelling, instrument play, dance and movement.
At this age, children love learning and making music with their peers and can now begin to apply what they are learning in different ways. Level 4 classes provide the perfect environment that encourages your child without pushing. The rich foundation of musicianship which Kindermusik lays has the potential to accelerate later progress on an instrument.
Your child is learning to be self-sufficient in a group setting of peers, while many times still needing the emotional security provided by a parent – Level 4 classes are the best of both worlds! Caregivers and any siblings participate in the last 10-15 minutes of class. Plus your Kindermusik Online Materials ensure the learning continues at home with each child’s best teacher—the parent.
About the Classes
Age Range: 4 to 5 years
Class Structure: 8-9 classes per term
Class Length: 45 minute class each week
Class Size: Class with no more than 12 children
What your child will experience in Class:
- Play Percussion Instruments. Children are introduced to and play a variety of percussion instruments during class activities. Instrument exploration, ensemble play and steady-beat play-alongs enhance your child’s sense of rhythm, steady beat and melody.
- Focused listening. Children will learn to identify a range of orchestra instruments and their sound qualities, while also gaining an early awareness and knowledge of composers and masterworks in Western arts tradition.
- Read and Write Music. Your preschooler will learn basic music notation, music vocabulary and music history including learning about the various genres of music, composers and cultures.
- Gallop, Skip, Hop and Dance. There will be plenty of opportunities to get those little feet dancing. Movement is crucial to improving large motor skills and to help your child feel the beat in the music. Preschoolers will participate in various group dances and games which will help them learn social cues and expression.
- Sing. In this class, your preschooler will increase pitch accuracy, expand vocal range, improve sequencing and memory recall through singing. Children will also begin singing songs in other languages.
- Listen to Stories. The stories in this older class will frequently help to reinforce the featured musical genre, musical concepts and musical vocabulary from class. This skillfully provides children with different learning styles the opportunity to absorb the new information presented in the lesson.
- Socialize. Preschoolers are learning to be self-sufficient in a group setting of peers and are learning to take direction from a teacher. By providing both a peer group during the first 30 minutes of class, and Family Sharing Time during the last 15 minutes, your child gets a balance of his drive for independence, and the still needed emotional security of having a caregiver there. In addition, your little one will gain social skills as they learn to take turns, empathize, build friendships, resolve conflicts and share.
- Pretend Play. Pretend play activities are integrated with music, vocal development, storytelling, listening and movement. When based upon a child’s real life experiences, pretend play helps develop language, sensory, motor and cognitive skills.
“Our educator Verna is terrific – she has a real way with children. I think Kindermusik is the activity my son most enjoys in his week. The way our class is set up I think is great for all kinds of kids – active boys like mine, and also quieter more reserved kids. I’ve recommended it a lot!” – Catlin E., Music2Grow parent
Missed the start of the semester? No problem, you can join at any time. Come along to a preview in an existing class. Preview class cost is $15 and includes a 45-minute Kindermusik class and CD to take home. The cost of your preview class will be deducted from your term fees when you enrol. Bookings are essential. Contact Verna for more information M: 0415 482 264 or email