Kindermusik for the Young Child: Building a Musical Foundation
Using a small-group approach to music education, Kindermusik Level 5 (Young Child) provides a pressure-free environment where your child can develop a strong musical foundation alongside creativity, confidence and a life-long love of learning. It is the perfect compliment to your child’s schooling – many families find that attendance at Kindermusik classes aids in the development of skills (such as inhibitory control, coordination, fine-motor skills, auditory discrimination, ensemble play/team-work etc.) that enhance the school learning experience.
Young Child 1st Year: Wednesdays 3.40pm – 4.40pm
Young Child 2nd Year: Tuesdays 3.40pm – 4.40pm
See class fees and inclusions here: CLASS FEES
During the course of this 4-semester program your child will learn the concepts, language, notation and vocabulary of music and explore a variety of musical styles and genres through songs, games and movement. They will explore and play authentic percsussion, string, pre-keyboard and woodwind instruments.
Young Child Semester 1 & 2 introduce the glockenspiel, a beautiful hand-crafted instrument with individually hand-drilled keys for accurate pitch. Children love creating melodies on this delightful sounding instrument. Young Child Semester 3 features Appalachian music and the 2-string dulcimer and Young Child Semester 4 introduces the recorder and music from around the world.
Small class sizes allow learning to progress in a welcoming and nurturing environment at each child’s individual pace. Parents or caregivers attend the last 10-15 minutes of class where homework is explained and we do an activity together to help you stay in touch with what your child is learning.
What parents are saying about Kindermusik for the Young Child at Music2Grow:
“Not only is Kindermusik a fun, supportive and play based way for kids to enjoy and learn music but it is also a great way to meet other families! We have loved Verna’s teaching style and the kids really get a lot out of her classes. My daughter is now playing piano and her teacher says her skills are amazing at such a young age. “- Tanya S.
“It’s fun for the child. They are exposed to different types of music and instruments. Its a great foundation for future music choices. My child can now read music – impressive.” – Lisa O.
“Kindermusik respects that children need to play to learn. The materials both in the class and for home are wonderful and engaging. The parent information sheets are a great guidance. The gentle approach to meet individual children’s social and emotional needs is also very important to us.” – Melissa S.
About the Classes
Age Range: 5 to 7 years
Class Structure: 15 classes in a semester
Class Length: 50-60 minute class each week
Class Size: Class with no more than 8 children
Parent Involvement: Last 10-15 minutes of class
What A Parent And Child Will Experience In Class
- Singing and vocal development – It may sound like a foreign language when a child sings “ta” and “ti-ti,” but this is the language of professional musicians and composers and getting young children ready to read and write simple rhythm patterns.
- Movement — See children dance expressively to music, giving them the practice they need to coordinate their body movements to the sound of music. This kind of musical play not only improves musicianship, but physical coordination as well.
- Reading and writing — Young children will learn melodic notation and identify pitches such as the C, A, and D notes on the treble clef, plus rhythmic notation – eventually even composing their own music.
- Focused listening — Children will learn to identify a range of orchestra instruments and their sound qualities, while also gaining an early awareness and knowledge of composers and masterworks in Western arts tradition.
- Exploring and playing musical instruments — Authentic percussion, string, pre-keyboard, and woodwind instruments expose children to the many choices for future musical study, and at the same time provide them with the opportunity to musically succeed before taking on more formal instruction.
Missed the start of the semester? No problem, in Semester One and Two, you can join at any time. For Semester 3 or 4, please contact us to discuss enrolment options. Come along to a preview in an existing class. Preview class cost is $25 and includes a 60-minute Kindermusik class and CD to take home. Bookings are essential. Contact Verna for more information M: 0415 482 264 or email