Strengthening Musical Foundations
Our Level 4 class, for children 4-6 years, taps into your child’s natural creativity and love of music and encourages them to explore their singing voice, creative sound-making, rhythm patterns and musical notation through songs, storytelling, instrument play, dance and movement.
At this age, children love learning and making music with their peers and can now begin to apply what they are learning in different ways. Level 4 classes provide the perfect environment that encourages your child without pushing. The rich foundation of musicianship which Kindermusik lays has the potential to accelerate later progress on an instrument.
Your child is learning to be self-sufficient in a group setting of peers, while many times still needing the emotional security provided by a parent/caregiver – Level 4 classes are the best of both worlds! Children attend without adults for the first 30 minutes and caregivers and any siblings participate in ‘sharing time’ in the last 10-15 minutes of class.
Plus your Kindermusik Online Materials included with every unit, help you to bring the learning fun home with music, stories and activities to complement the classroom experience and parent information to support you as your child’s first and most important teacher.
About the Classes
Age Range: 4 to 6 years
Class Structure: 8-9 classes per term
Class Length: 45 minute class each week
Class Size: Class with no more than 10 children
What your child will experience in Class:
- Play Percussion Instruments. Children are introduced to and play a variety of percussion instruments during class activities. Instrument exploration, ensemble play and steady-beat play-alongs enhance your child’s sense of rhythm, steady beat and melody.
- Focused listening. Children will learn to identify a range of orchestra instruments and their sound qualities, while also gaining an early awareness and knowledge of composers and masterworks in Western arts tradition.
- Read and Write Music. Your preschooler will learn basic music notation, music vocabulary and music history including learning about the various genres of music, composers and cultures.
- Gallop, Skip, Hop and Dance. There will be plenty of opportunities to get those little feet dancing. Movement is crucial to improving large motor skills and to help your child feel the beat in the music. Preschoolers will participate in various group dances and games which will help them learn social cues and expression.
- Sing. In this class, your preschooler will increase pitch accuracy, expand vocal range, improve sequencing and memory recall through singing. Children will also begin singing songs in other languages.
- Listen to Stories. The stories in this older class will frequently help to reinforce the featured musical genre, musical concepts and musical vocabulary from class. This skillfully provides children with different learning styles the opportunity to absorb the new information presented in the lesson.
- Socialize. Preschoolers are learning to be self-sufficient in a group setting of peers and are learning to take direction from a teacher. By providing both a peer group during the first 30 minutes of class, and Family Sharing Time during the last 15 minutes, your child gets a balance of his drive for independence, and the still needed emotional security of having a caregiver there. In addition, your little one will gain social skills as they learn to take turns, empathize, build friendships, resolve conflicts and share.
- Pretend Play. Pretend play activities are integrated with music, vocal development, storytelling, listening and movement. When based upon a child’s real life experiences, pretend play helps develop language, sensory, motor and cognitive skills.
“Winston has loved his Kindermusik classes. I personally am pleased that he is learning to participate as part of a group, practice on a wide range of musical instruments and getting an understanding of reading music.” – Susan B.