Kindermusik for the Young Child: Building a Musical Foundation
Using a small-group approach to music education, Young Child provides a pressure-free developmentally appropriate transition where children can musically succeed before taking on specific instrumental or vocal instruction. Children develop a strong musical foundation as they are introduced to fundamental music concepts, musical vocabulary, notation, and the basics of vocal development.
In small, movement-oriented classes, children explore a wide variety of musical styles and the instruments of the orchestra through group ensemble play, music, games, and stories from many cultures. Children will gain hands-on experience with a range of musical instruments, including the glockenspiel, dulcimer and recorder during the course of this 4-semester programme. Parents or caregivers are encouraged to attend the last 10-15 minutes of class.
Young Child Semester 1 & 2 introduce the glockenspiel, a beautiful hand-crafted instrument with individually hand-drilled keys for accurate pitch. Children love creating melodies on this delightful sounding instrument. Young Child 3 features Appalachian music and the 2-string dulcimer and Young Child 4 introduces the recorder.
Young children who continue Kindermusik class into early school age will develop a greater capacity for learning and a lifelong love of music. These classes are a musical learning experience that set the stage for future school success and the transition into formal music lessons.
- Mid-Semester enrolment is available for this class. $170 includes 7 x 60 minute classes, a beautiful, hand-crafted glockenspiel and all home materials as listed below. Mid-semester enrolment commences Tuesday 7th August. ENROL NOW or book in for a PREVIEW class.
- MID-SEMESTER ENROLMENT SPECIAL: $150 Book and pay in full by 20th July.
Download an information sheet with costings and inclusions here (.pdf): Young Child Information Sheet
What parents are saying about Kindermusik for the Young Child at Music2Grow:
“Not only is Kindermusik a fun, supportive and play based way for kids to enjoy and learn music but it is also a great way to meet other families! We have loved Verna’s teaching style and the kids really get a lot out of her classes. My daughter is now playing piano and her teacher says her skills are amazing at such a young age. “- Tanya S.
“It’s fun for the child. They are exposed to different types of music and instruments. Its a great foundation for future music choices. My child can now read music – impressive.” – Lisa O.
“Kindermusik respects that children need to play to learn. The materials both in the class and for home are wonderful and engaging. The parent information sheets are a great guidance. The gentle approach to meet individual children’s social and emotional needs is also very important to us.” – Melissa S.
About the Classes
Age Range: 5 to 7 years
Class Structure: 15 classes in a semester
Class Length: 50-60 minute class each week
Class Size: Class with no more than 8 children
Parent Involvement: Last 10-15 minutes of class
What A Parent And Child Will Experience In Class
- Singing and vocal development – It may sound like a foreign language when a child sings “ta” and “ti-ti,” but this is the language of professional musicians and composers and getting young children ready to read and write simple rhythm patterns.
- Movement — See children dance expressively to music, giving them the practice they need to coordinate their body movements to the sound of music. This kind of musical play not only improves musicianship, but physical coordination as well.
- Reading and writing — Young children will learn melodic notation and identify pitches such as the C, A, and D notes on the treble clef, plus rhythmic notation. Eventually even composing their own music.
- Focused listening — Children will learn to identify a range of orchestra instruments and their sound qualities, while also gaining an early awareness and knowledge of composers and masterworks in Western arts tradition.
- Exploring and playing musical instruments — Authentic percussion, string, pre-keyboard, and woodwind instruments expose children to the many choices for future musical study, and at the same time provide them with the opportunity to musically succeed before taking on more formal instruction.
Semester Enrolment Fee: $350 (includes all tuition and home materials for the semester)
- 15 x 50-60 minute classes over 2 terms (developmentally appropriate curriculum for children, ages 4½-7 years)
- At Home Materials (including a music folder with stickers, At Home Cards, a Family Songbook, instrument – wind, string, or pre-keyboard instrument depending on the semester, CD of music from class in a carry bag).
Missed the start of the semester? No problem, tuition can be pro-rated for you. Contact Verna for more information M: 0415 482 264 or email